Skip to main contentSkip to content
text
Saved0
News News Report

President Trump announces leaders of Israel and Lebanon will meet for the first time in 33 years

Share f X W in

 

U.S. President Donald Trump has announced that the leaders of Israel and Lebanon will meet for the first time in over three decades, signaling a potential breakthrough in the war in Iran.
In a social media post late on Wednesday, Trump said that the leaders would speak on Thursday in a renewed effort to broker a ceasefire after the countries’ first direct talks in decades ended the previous day in Washington without a deal.
On Truth Social, he said: “Trying to get a little breathing room between Israel and Lebanon. ‘It has been a long time since the two leaders have spoken, like 34 years. It will happen tomorrow.’
The peace negotiations between the two nations are the first to occur since 1993.
An Israeli minister said the talks would involve Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Lebanese President Joseph Aoun. It will be the first direct conversation between the leaders of the neighbouring countries in over 30 years.
Science minister Gila Gamliel told Israeli radio: “Today the prime minister will speak for the first time with the president of Lebanon after so many years of a complete disconnection in the dialogue between the two countries.”
The announcement came as diplomatic efforts to end the war continued across the Middle East, with leaders from Pakistan visiting Iran and Saudi Arabia to try to broker an extension of the ceasefire.
Hezbollah, the Iranian-backed militant group in Lebanon, has been participating in the armed conflict by launching missile attacks against Israel since the Israeli-US strikes against Iran.
Israel’s retaliation in Lebanon has resulted in a catastrophic death toll, with estimates exceeding 2,000 Lebanese casualties. More than one million people have also been forced to flee their homes.
Earlier this month, Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz said the nation was planning to set up a security zone on Lebanese territory, which would prevent thousands from returning to their homes.
Your reaction

How did this story make you feel?

Reader community

Join the conversation

Share a thoughtful response. Submissions may be reviewed before appearing.

0 responses
Be respectful. Avoid personal information, abuse and unverified allegations.

Loading responsesPlease wait.
Help others stay informed

Share this article

f X W
About the author

TheNaijaWide newsroom publishes verified reports, analysis and original coverage across Nigeria and beyond.

Join the conversation

My News
0 readers online0 stories todayTelegram