Skip to main contentSkip to content
text
Saved0
News News Report

Sunday Igboho Questions Delay In Rescue Approval, Offers To Help Free Abducted Oyo Schoolchildren

Share f X W in

Yoruba nation activist Sunday Igboho has reacted to the abduction of schoolchildren and teachers in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, expressing frustration over what he described as delays in granting approval for him to participate in rescue efforts.

Speaking in a video circulating online, Igboho said he had already informed authorities of his readiness to deploy his security team to assist in rescuing the victims but was asked to exercise patience.

According to him, he remains willing to support efforts aimed at securing the release of the abducted pupils and teachers.

“I’m not asking for money. Governor Makinde knows I have the capacity to rescue the Oriire kidnapped victims. I told them I am submitting myself with my squad to rescue them, but they told us to be patient. But then, till when? Why hasn’t he granted me permission?” he said.

The activist also revisited his earlier security initiative, known as the Iru Ekun Security Network, which he said received approval from the Federal Government but was not allowed to operate by the state government.

“I established the ‘Iru Ekun’ Security Network and the Federal Government gave me the go-ahead. But the state government disapproved, saying no one is permitted to take any action without approval. I had to comply. You all know what happened to me five years ago,” he stated.

Igboho maintained that his interest in the matter was driven by concern for the victims and the security of residents rather than personal gain.

“I don’t have children in Nigeria that cannot be kidnapped. I’m only doing this because of the love I have for the nation and for people who don’t have anyone,” he added.

His comments come amid growing public concern over the continued captivity of pupils and teachers abducted during attacks on schools in the Esiele and Yawota communities of Oriire Local Government Area.

The incident has triggered protests, public outcry, industrial action by the Nigeria Union of Teachers, and renewed calls for stronger security measures across Oyo State.

Authorities have continued efforts to secure the release of the victims, while the Federal Government recently announced additional security interventions, including the recruitment of forest guards and the deployment of a specialised rescue team to assist ongoing operations.

The kidnapping remains one of the most significant security challenges currently facing Oyo State and has intensified national discussions about community security, rescue operations and strategies for combating kidnapping and terrorism.

Your reaction

How did this story make you feel?

Reader community

Join the conversation

Share a thoughtful response. Submissions may be reviewed before appearing.

0 responses
Be respectful. Avoid personal information, abuse and unverified allegations.

Loading responsesPlease wait.
Help others stay informed

Share this article

f X W
About the author

TheNaijaWide newsroom publishes verified reports, analysis and original coverage across Nigeria and beyond.

Join the conversation

My News
0 readers online0 stories todayTelegram